2nd Stage: Professional Hit Melodies Composing with Eric Ng & Jim Lim
***To find out more, join us in our courses seminar happening on the 8th April, 2018! Instructors Eric Ng and Jim Lim will be sharing their experiences of composing for the pop music industry and how you can be part of the exciting Asian Mando Pop music industry. They will also be explaining on the improvements, what to expect and also how to apply for the grant with NAC.
- Date: 8th April 2018 (Sunday)
- Time: 2pm
- Venue: FM Pop Music School ( No.81 Ubi Ave 4, UB ONE, #08-22, Singapore 408830)
RSVP HERE for the Seminar
Our Professional Hit Melodies course is renowned in Singapore for providing a solid foundation of what goes on behind the success of a hit song. Aspiring songwriters get to have a taste of what goes on in the music industry working as hit songwriter. If you’ve been writing songs and want to take it to the next level, this is your perfect opportunity to turn your passion for songwriting into a fulfilling career! Join us on this journey with chart topping songwriters, as they share with you priceless real world experiences and the necessary skills on composing songs as a professional songwriter.
This is course will be conducted by renowned songwriters/music producers Eric Ng (黃韻仁) and Jim Lim (林倛玉).
- Commencement Date/Timing: 31st July 2018,Tuesdays,7:30pm
- Course Duration: 10 months, 40 weeks (40 Lessons)
- Course Frequency: Once a week (1.5 hours per lesson)
- Instructor: Eric Ng, Jim Lim (Instructor Profile Links Below)
- Trainees without publisher contract will be offered a trainee writer contract over the course period for the compositions written during class. Guided by our instructors, works with potential will be pitched into the music industry.
- Trainees will be awarded a “Certificate of Participation” during their last class of their course (T&C applies).
*For NAC Capability Development Grant Applicants and Non Grant Applicants Timeline details, please refer here.
This course is eligible to apply for the NAC Capability Development Grant, which can subsidise up to 70% of the course fees. More information about the grant can be found at NAC website.
Topics that will be covered during this course:
- How to develop the melody of your song and create a “hook” that leaves a
lasting impression on the listener
- Regular assignments/song reviews given to reinforce topics covered
- Having hands on experience composing for song requests from the music industry, including top artists looking for their next big hit
- Experiencing a music production/arrangement run through with today’s hit makers
- Understanding the role of vocals in melody composing
- Productive songwriting thought processes
- Basic demo arrangement awareness
- Understanding and composing for current popular genres
- Instrument and Vocal Micing techniques for the Home Studio
- Mixing strategies to make your demo stand out
- Understanding the industry’s workings and knowledge of your copyright
- Thoughts and considerations in composing for a specified singer
- Marketing yourself for a career in hit songwriting
Pre-requisite for Professional Hit Melodies Composing with Eric Ng & Jim Lim
Applicants need to have songwriting experience, basic knowledge of a musical instrument and able to present their songs through a basic demo recording with vocals. We will require applicants to send in 2 of their best works (Demos) in mp3 format for assessment by our instructors.
How to submit
Start date for submissions: 20th March 2018
Send in your completed works to email@example.com with the following details:
Email header: Professional Hit Melodies Composing with Eric Ng & Jim Lim Demo Submission
2) Contact Number
6) Current employer (if any)
Deadline for submissions : 15th April 2018
Submission of Demos is optional as it is for our instructors’ internal reference.
Email your enquiries and interest to firstname.lastname@example.org First come First Serve Basis. Limited Seats only.
What our trainees say..
1st Stage: Basic Course
Always wanted to write songs that create a lasting impression on the listener? Learn how to compose songs that are required in the current pop music market, music theory concepts and how to go about structuring your song, getting the chance to work on projects that will be happening in the industry!
The instructors are handpicked and certified by Asia’s renowned songwriters/producers Eric Ng (黃韻仁) and Jim Lim (林倛玉).
Unsigned trainees will be offered a trainee writer contract over the course period for the compositions written during class. Guided by our instructors, works with potential will be pitched into the music industry.
This course is catered for students who are interested in melody composing and want to find out how to get started.
What will be taught:
- Song Structure
- Basic Music Theory (Notes, Chords, Rhythm, etc)
- Music Genres
- Music recording software setup
- Music arrangement awareness
- Melody Study (Elements of a melody + Motifs)
- Drum Studies (Groove)
- Demo Production Introduction
- Micro and Macro Structures of a Melody
- Advanced Theory (Application of Secondary Dominants and Non-Diatonic Chords)
- Practical Lessons:Students will be given assignments based on what they have learnt during the lectures to compose and do a demo for their song. The songs will be presented in class and evaluated by the lecturers.
Duration: 1½ hours
Class Size: 6-15 pax
No. of lessons: 24 lessons (approx. 6 months)
- Commencement Date for next intake: T.B.A.
Seats are Limited. First come First Serve Basis.
Trainees will be awarded a “Certificate of Participation”
during their last class of their course (T&C applies). Students who have completed the Basic Melody Composing Course will be able to continue at 2nd Stage: Professional Hit Melody Composing with Eric Ng & Jim Lim (T&C applies).
Email us now for more details about the course and to secure your place for the next intake!