Music ArrangementMusic Arrangement / Advance Music Arrangement (Scroll down)
As a songwriter or a musician, we understand that when you are starting out, often you have no clue on how to begin creating an arrangement for the songs that you’ve composed, or even how to begin using the music software.
Our Music Arrangement courses takes you through the concepts of music arrangement, demystifying the basics using Apple Garageband starting with built in loops and moving on to building your arrangements from scratch using Protools – the leading music industry software found in most recording studios.
The 10 months syllabus, formulated by Eric Ng黄韵仁 and Jim Lim 林倛玉, taught together with our highly qualified lecturers, caters to anyone interested in music arranging, no matter if you are guitar or keyboard based.
This music arrangement course will be beneficial to songwriters and musicians that would like to learn how to arrange songs using Garageband and Protools.
What you will learn in 10 months:
- Learn the concepts of music arrangement
- Gain awareness of the interaction between commonly used music instruments
- Understanding groove and harmony, the basic building blocks of music arrangement
- Building your own multi-instrument arrangements from scratch, track by track with guidance by our highly qualified and patient instructors
- Learn the basic concepts of polishing and mixing your tracks
• Basic knowledge of one of the following instruments, drums, bass, guitar or keyboard
- Group Class Size: min. 5 max. 15 students
- Commencement Date/Timing : 20th July 2016, Wednesdays, 7:30pm
- Course Duration: 10 months, 40 weeks (40 lessons), 20th July 2016 to 19th April 2017
- Course Frequency: : Once a week (1.5 hours per lesson)
- Instructors: Eric Ng, Jim Lim, Fatt, Seto (Instructor Profile Links Below)
*For NAC Capability Development Grant Applicants and Non Grant Applicants Timeline details, please refer here
As you will be trained using Apple computers with Garageband, Protools software and a midi keyboard, it is advisable for you to have your own set up to hone your arrangements. However, we do provide Apple laptops during class usage at a first come first serve basis.
Advanced Music Arrangement
The journey in music arrangement is ever changing with technological and music trends altering the tastes of music fans everywhere. No matter if you are guitar or keyboard based, this syallabus aims to expand your knowledge of music arrangement and take it to the next level!
The advanced music arrangement course is led by Eric Ng黄韵仁 and Jim Lim 林倛玉. Together with our highly qualified lecturers, this course targets aspiring music arrangers who’ve had prior hands on experience working on their own tracks to tap into the industry know how of our mentors and better understand the arranger’s thought process.
Based on our team of lecturers’ experience working with artists such as A*Mei, Stefanie Sun, Jolin Tsai, Dreamz FM, The Freshman, Joi Chua etc, this course will further explore the concepts of music arrangement, of how various instruments and modern music arrangement tools work together in different genres to widen their sonic palette.
Trainees will be exposed to various instruments and genre specific training to diversify the scope of their works. Understanding that audio mixing has became an extension of modern music arrangement and the prevalence of electronic music taking over the airwaves, this course will hone your arrangements towards the professional sheen that you hear on the hit songs of today.
Understanding the tools and parameters of the common tools used in modern music arrangement
- How to engage the listener
- Understanding instrument interaction and how they are properly used
- Effective layering of instruments
- Modulation techniques and usage
- Guitar theories and techniques
- Bass Guitar theories and techniques
- Advanced Keyboard theories and techniques
- Realistic Acoustic Drum Programming
- Electronic music Programming
- Basics of synthesis
- Essential effects for Electronic music
- Mixing as an extension of arrangement
- Understanding essential tools of audio mixing (Panorama, Reverb, Delay, Compression, EQ, Gate, Sidechain etc)
- Understanding current trends in music arrangement
- Group Class Size: min. 5 max. 8 students
- Commencement Date/Timing: 18th July 2016, Mondays, 7:30pm
- Course Duration: 10 months,40 weeks (40 lessons), 18th July 2016 to 22nd May 2017
- Course Frequency: Once a week (1.5 hours per lesson)
- Instructors: Eric Ng, Jim Lim, Frank Lee, Bang Wenfu, Clement Yang, Fatt, Seto (Instructor Profile Links Below)
- Trainees will be awarded a “Certificate of Participation” during their last class of their course (T&C applies).
As the advanced arranged course is catered to providing the arranger with modern arrangement concepts rather than learning a specific DAW, you are welcome to use your own laptop with a prefered DAW(Digital Audio Workstation) of your choice thruout the course. We do provide Apple laptops equipped with Garageband, Protools and a midi keyboard controller during class usage at a first come first serve basis.
- Prior experience in multi track sequencing with a DAW (Garageband, Logic, Protools, Cubase etc)
- Basic knowledge of either guitar or keyboard
- You will need to submit an arrangement completed by you for assessment by the mentors.
*Current FM Music Arrangement need not submit demos. If you are not an current music arrangement student and will like to join the advance music arrangement course. We will require applicants to send in 2 of their best works (Demos) in mp3 format for assessment by our instructors.
How to submit
Send in your completed works to email@example.com with the following details:
Email header: FM Advance Music Arrangement Demo Submission
2) Contact Number
6) Current employer (if any)
*For NAC Capability Development Grant Applicants and Non Grant Applicants Timeline details, please refer to https://goo.gl/PI5Zhg